The original dwelling on the property (the farmhouse), built by Thomas Burt in 1820, was part of a 143 acre fruit farm. The larger, statelier part of the home (the Inn), was built in the late 1880’s. The original owner, Henry F. Penfield, Esquire, practiced law out of a brick office building that existed to the front of the property, where the larger part of the home (the Inn) sits today.
In the 1850’s, James C. Smith, Esquire, purchased the farmhouse from Mr. Penfield. James Smith later became a justice of the Supreme Court and occupied his seat for 34 years. Upon his demise, around the turn of the century, Maynard N. Clement, a prominent attorney, acquired the property.
In 1911, Clement left the Canandaigua area to accept an appointment as state excise commissioner. The property was acquired by Dr. & Mrs. Dwight R. Burrell. In 1921, Mrs. Burrell died, and the estate was sold to Stewart Brooks Hubbell.
Joseph W. Cribb, acquired the property from Mr. Hubbell’s estate. Mr. Cribb, who became a prominent Judge in the Canandaigua area, and owned the property adjacent to the home, sold off part of the property to Alfred Morris Gifford in 1945. During the depression era, the Inn and the original dwelling (farmhouse) was converted to apartments.
Sometime in the 1970’s, the home housed a real estate office, before becoming a private residence again. In March, 2004, Guy and Jaynee Straw purchased the property to restore to its original grandeur as a Bed & Breakfast, currently known as 1840 Inn on the Main.
Inn On The Main